On the 25th of May 2016, the Bangalore Metropolitan Transportation Corporation (BMTC) launched a mobile application that enables users to locate their buses in real time and look for nearest bus stops, among other useful features. This is a part of the Intelligent Transport System (ITS), the only one of its kind in India. The ITS boasts Electronic Ticketing Machines and smart cards that are set to become a reality by the end of July. Till date, as many as 6,414 buses have been fitted with a GPS device.
Why you should download the application :
- It gives all the information you could ask about a bus and more.
- The ‘Nearby’ feature allows a user to find services such as gas stations, food and even flower shops to name a few.
- ‘Stops near me’ lists bus stops nearby.
- ‘Trip planner’ shows buses on the route and chalks it out on a map
- Fare calculator
- Extremely useful for a person new to Bangalore
Why not :
- User Interface improperly structured.
- Shows location of buses but No Real Time Tracking
- ETA of a bus opens in the browser outside of the application
Without real time tracking, the app serves as a mere information provider and is hence, not very different from other such applications available on the Play Store. The user also cannot know when the location of the bus was last updated. The trip planner is efficient but nothing out of the ordinary.
Once real time tracking of buses is enabled, the app will be immensely useful for thousands of BMTC users. Until then, one can do without downloading the mobile application as Google Maps can do most of what it does.2